Acidity, Gastrict Disorder
Hyperacidity, commonly known as acidity is a gastrointestinal disorder in which the excess secretion of digestive
juice including hydrochloric acid causes heartburn and gas formation. In Ayurveda, this condition is called urdhva gata
amalpitta or Gastro Esopohageal Reflux Disease (GERD). It is due to aggravation of pitta dosha. Acidity is the most
common digestive disease of the world.
Acidity can affect your daily activity and you face difficulty in swallowing foods. Though it is a curable disease yet
it can be chronic if not been treated timely.
Gastro Esophageal reflux disease (GERD) or acidity is caused by various factors:
- Excessive hot, spicy, fried food.
- Intake of fats, sweets, adulterated and fermented food.
- Alcohol consumption.
- Excessive intake of strong chocolate, tea, coffee, garlic, onions and excessive smoking.
- Stress-related conditions like anger, fear, and worrying.
- Excessive exposure to sun and heat.
- Consumption of Aspirin and Anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Excessive use of alcohol.
- Empty stomach for long time.
- Skipping breakfast
- Pregnancy, aging, obesity
- Bad eating habit and eating junk food.
Signs and Symptoms
- Burning sensation in the chest and throat.
- Sour oral secretion/belching.
- Vomiting, headache.
- Heat in the body.
- Lack of appetite.
- Chest and stomach pain
- Gas formation in stomach
- Inflammation in chest
- Gastroesophageal reflux.
In chronic acidity patients, the voice becomes change and ulcer begins to form in esophagus (tube connecting mouth
and stomach), muscular contractions, and pain in ears.
Patient with hernia are at a risk of developing acid reflux or acidity.
We can prevent from hyperacidity if we follow the rule of simple living according to nature. Hyperacidity depends
upon our eating and behaviour. What to eat and how much to eat is an important factor in controlling acidity:
- Avoid eating fried, fatty, junk foods, and excessive chocolates.
- Avoid eating onions, citrus fruits, spicy foods, as they worsen the acid reflux or acidity disease.
- Eat carbohydrate rich food like rice, as they are easily digested and with no acid formation.
- Eat dinner two to three hours before sleeping time as it keeps you healthy.
- Eat small meals as it helps in digestion.
- Maintain adequate body weight it helps in acidity control.
- Avoid eating protein-rich and calcium-rich foods like milk and diary products at night.
- Avoid excessive use of alcohol and caffeine.
- Depression, anxiety worsens the acidity disease so try to live a stress-free life for healthy and happy living.
- Morning and evening walk are good for your health and keeps the acidity disease under control.
- Yoga and meditation keeps your overall fit and fine.
- Sleeping in right posture and right elevation help in acidity control.