Home Remedies for Mastitis
Breast infection or mastitis is a common disease that is caused due to infection of the breast tissue of the body during breastfeeding. Although there is no dearth of treatment for this disease home remedies for mastitis helps in dealing with the various symptoms of this disease. Mastitis is characterized by pain, swelling, redness, and elevated temperature of the breast. The disease is caused due to entry of bacteria from the baby's mouth enters the milk canal.
Causes of Mastitis
· Breast infections or mastitis is caused due to infection of common bacteria (Staphylococcus aureus).
· The bacteria enter the nipple from baby’s mouth through a crack.
· Infection is most common in women breastfeeding baby.
Symptoms of Mastitis:
Breast enlargement on one side only
Fever and flu-like symptoms including nausea and vomiting
Nipple discharge (may contain pus)
Nipple sensation changes
Swelling, tenderness, redness, and warmth in breast tissue
Tender or enlarged lymph nodes in armpit on the same side
Home Remedies for Mastitis:
· Alfalfa leaves could be an excellent home remedy for mastitis. Take alfalfa in different forms including capsule form to make it work for you. Its use stimulates lactation and increases quality and quantity of milk.
· Chaste tree could be an excellent natural remedy for increasing flow of milk.
· Codonopsis an herb has been found effective in the treatment of mastitis as it boosts lactation and strengthens the blood.
· Goat's rue is one of the most preferred home remedies for increasing the breast milk production.